Official Opening of the Headquarters Building
The ceremony for the official handing-over of the new Headquarters Building of the Tribunal in Nienstedten, Hamburg, was held on 3 July 2000. It was the joint ceremony of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, held in the presence of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, His Excellency Mr. Kofi Annan. The building was designed and constructed for the Tribunal by the Host Country, the Federal Republic of Germany and the Host City, the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.
- Statement of Gritakumar E. Chitty, Registrar of the Tribunal
- Statement of Judge P. Chandrasekhara Rao, President of the Tribunal
- Statement of Mrs Herta Däubler-Gmelin, Minister of Justice of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Statement of Mr Ortwin Runde, First Mayor of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
- Statement of Mr Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations