The "Camouco" Case (Panama v. France), Prompt Release
On 17 January 2000, an Application under article 292 of the Convention was filed on behalf of Panama against France for the prompt release of the Camouco, a fishing vessel flying the Panamanian flag, and its Master. The case was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 5.
By Order dated 17 January 2000, the President fixed 27 and 28 January 2000 as the dates for the hearing.
France filed its Statement in Response on 25 January 2000.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 26 January 2000.
Four public sittings to hear the oral arguments of the parties and to present evidence were held on 27 and 28 January 2000. Final submissions were made by each party at the end of the hearing.
On 7 February 2000, the Tribunal delivered its Judgment in the case.
- ITLOS/PV.00/1 - 27 January 2000 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/2 - 27 January 2000 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/3 - 28 January 2000 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.00/4 - 28 January 2000 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
Questions to the Parties
- Judgment of 7 February 2000