The "Juno Trader" Case (Saint Vincent and the Grenadines v. Guinea-Bissau), Prompt Release
On 18 November 2004, an Application under article 292 of the Convention was filed on behalf of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines against Guinea-Bissau for the release of the vessel Juno Trader, flying the flag of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and its crew. The Application was entered in the list of cases as Case No. 13.
By Order dated 19 November 2004, the President fixed 1 and 2 December 2004 as the dates for the hearing.
On 26 November, the Agent of Guinea-Bissau requested a postponement of the hearing and, on 29 November 2004, the Agent of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines transmitted his observations on the request for postponement.
The oral proceedings in the case were opened at a public sitting on 1 December 2004, at which the President read the Order of the Tribunal of the same date concerning the request of Guinea-Bissau for postponement. By that Order, the Tribunal postponed the continuation of the hearing to 6 December 2004 and extended the time limit for the filing of a statement by Guinea-Bissau to 2 December 2004. By the same Order, the filing of any additional documents was extended to 6 December 2004.
Prior to the opening of the hearing, the Tribunal held initial deliberations on 30 November and 1 December 2004.
Oral statements were made by representatives of the parties at four public sittings held on 6 and 7 December 2004. In their concluding statements, the representatives of the parties read their final submissions.
On 18 December 2004, the Tribunal delivered its Judgment in the case.
Institution of Proceedings
- ITLOS/PV.04/01/Corr.1 - 1 December 2004 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.04/02 - 6 December 2004 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.04/03 - 6 December 2004 p.m.
- ITLOS/PV.04/04 - 7 December 2004 a.m.
- ITLOS/PV.04/05 - 7 December 2004 p.m.
- Minutes of public hearings (original language) in accordance with article 86 of the Rules of the Tribunal
Questions to the Parties
- Judgment of 18 December 2004
- Declaration of Judge Kolodkin
- Joint Declaration of Judges Kolodkin, Anderson and Cot
- Separate Opinion of Judge Park
- Joint Separate Opinion of Judges Mensah and Wolfrum
- Separate Opinion of Judge Chandrasekhara Rao
- Separate Opinion of Judge Treves
- Separate Opinion of Judge Ndiaye
- Separate Opinion of Judge Lucky
- ITLOS/Press 91: Application filed on behalf of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines against Guinea-Bissau for the release of the arrested vessel "Juno Trader" and its crew
- ITLOS/Press 92: Hearing in The "Juno Trader" Case postponed to 6 and 7 December
- ITLOS/Press 94: Judgment in Case No. 13 to be delivered on Saturday, 18 December 2004 at 10:30 a.m.
- ITLOS/Press 95: Judgment delivered in The "Juno Trader" Case